Tuesday 27 August 2013

Paranormal Pick Ups

 Soul Screamers, My Soul To Take by Rachel Vincent
"Something is wrong with Kaylee Cavanaugh... She can sense when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her completely compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally. When classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, and only Kaylee knows who'll be next, she realises that finding a boyfriend is the least of her worries!"

This book is definitely the first one I thought of when I decided to do a paranormal recommendation post. I'm not entirely sure if the 'beings' involved in this series are classed as paranormal, but let's just say it's definitely more supernatural than human.

Kaylee Cavanaugh seems like any normal teenager at the beginning of the book but there is definitely no waiting around for the action to begin. Within the first chapter, Kaylee's confusing secrets are unraveling and if, like myself, you hate having to read the first half of a book to get to the good stuff then this book certainly will not disappoint!

Rachel Vincent seems to have a knack for completely drawing you into the story, as if you're truly in said story. For me, reading is a distraction I use when I want to take a break from reality, which is apparently always, so finding a read that can completely pull me into the book's world is a book I want to read.

Kaylee seemed like most teenage girls. She just wanted to get through school and enjoy the fact that the hottest guy in school has taken an interest in her but when you have an ability such as Kaylee's, it's pretty hard to priorities school and cute guys.
Nash is definitely my favourite character in this book, simply because he is just written so perfectly, the kind of guy a father wants for their daughter. He completely goes against the whole hot guy = jerk cliche. He also seems to know a whole lot more about Kaylee's 'gift' than she does.

A world full of the unknown, sweetheart hotties and beautiful lullabies that will keep you enticed and interested throughout 1000+ pages.

P.S, I think the first photo is what the book cover originally was, and the second, what it is being published as now. (Excuse me if I'm wrong) Nonetheless, I definitely prefer the first cover! What about you guys?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Awakened by Brenda K. Davies
"Traumatized by her past, and struggling to move on from it, Sera has spent the past three years of college hiding herself from the world and content to stay that way. A chance encounter with Liam shatters her sheltered world, leaving her stunned and shaken by the strange feelings and emotions he arises in her, feelings she never thought she would experience and that frighten her in their intensity. Habouring a dark and deadly secret of his own, Liam knows that he should stay away from Sera; that he will only bring her more hurt, but he is irresistibly drawn to her and unable to deny himself the pleasure that only she can bring to him. But when their pasts collide with their present, and Liam's true nature is revealed, will their love for each other be enough, or will they be torn apart forever?"

I'm ever so slightly ashamed to say that it was originally the cover that caught my attention, even before I had read what it was about. *Slaps wrist* I know you should never judge a book by it's cover but I mean, look at it. Mystery and romance just oozed from the models' embrace and I instantly read the blurb.

A typical vampire-human love story. The doomed relationship, the knowledge that he needs to stay away yet cannot resist. The doe-eyed innocent, quiet girl who catches the player's eye. Shamelessly, everything I love in a paranormal romance and although the concept is a little cliched, the twists and turns the couple have to go through to stay together are what keeps this story alive and interesting.

After the looming shadow that Twilight cast over vampire based books/movies, I was very hesitant to read this as it seemed all too familiar. However, this story is a burst of fresh air in terms of vampire-human romance and I am so glad I took the time to really get into this book. There was a sense of originality that came from within this that I really enjoyed, simply because all other vampire books have given me the constant feeling of deja vu. Just everything about this book, upon reading what it was about, screamed TYPICAL which is why I was so happily surprised!

Sera as a character is seemingly content with being in the background whereas Liam is the typical player who girls hover around like a moth to a flame, twirling their bottle-blonde locks around their finger whilst batting their long, false lashes to gain a second of attention. Now, the only thing I didn't like towards the middle of the book was that Sera seems to lose a part of her character after succumbing to Liam's easy charm. Then again, she definitely regains that part later on, but as the female lead character, I think that keeping her character true and strong is vital.

I say, definitely pick up this book if your guilty pleasures are cheesy romances with a little dash of paranormal. It wont disappoint!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Obsidian (Lux #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

I've already written an entire blog post about this book which can be seen here; http://daydreamerreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/obsidian-by-jennifer-l-armentrout.html

A review for Onyx, which is the second book in the Lux series, will be up tomorrow so please make sure you're following me! Well actually, join this site if you just want more reviews!

I am definitely looking for suggestions, I review books or movies, preferably new ones so if anyone knows of any, just leave a comment! Otherwise you can tweet me (and follow me *hint hint*) at @Daydreamreviews. I'm happy to chat or take suggestions!

I hope you enjoyed this post and I hope you enjoy the books even more! Hit the books, they wont hit back;)
Stay lovely! Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment